Monday, November 18, 2013

The World of La Leche Leage

I have started the process to become a leader with La Leche League and it has been so interesting! I am kind of at a break in my research right now due to moving so I wanted to post a little bit about why I am involved in it to keep the momentum! Also know that this is a rant, a ramble, and possibly a waste of your time. Or it could be a huge revelation for you and for your impact on your family and the environment. Who knows.

I started attending meetings when Otto was only 4 weeks old. We were having some issues with breastfeeding and I had heard that LLL was a great support group and you could come to as many or as few meetings as you want and glean information. It was information not only from LLL but also experiences from actual moms. I also appreciated that all the LLL Leaders were well versed in actual information end of breastfeeding. It wasn't just a bunch of whiny moms, but moms that had information and help to share.

I continued to go not only for breastfeeding information but also for the relationships built in the groups with other moms interested in things like babywearing, baby-led weaning, cloth diapering and extended nursing. I am a B+ in all of these areas.. I dabble.. well more than dabble but I'm not quite a guru. I enjoy sharing the ease and eco friendly aspects of breastfeeding and all of the above mentioned areas with others and find that I can use it as a great conversation starter.

If you don't know any reasons why to breastfeed your child.. here are just a few:

The Breastfed baby:
    -is naturally protected from illness and disease due to the immunity receieved through the breast milk
    -  tends to cry less when allowed to nurse on demand
    - is naturally more confident in their person later on as exploration begins.. mom is the "safe zone"
    - has low tendency for allergies and asthma
    -lower rates of SIDS

The Momma:
     - Has a lower chance of breast and other types of cancer than non-breastfeeding mommas
     - Loses baby weight faster and easier
      - Heals from surgery, birth quicker... lower rates of hemorrage

This list goes ON and ON and ON...

Why is it good for the environment?
    - NO CONTAINERS
    - NO FACTORIES
     - NO SHIPPING
     - NO CARBON FOOTPRINT>> AT ALL

The thing that drives me crazy is our current PRO FORMULA culture. Now believe me I LOVE EVERY MOMMA OUT THERE. Trust yourself, your baby your situation. If you use formula... I'm glad you are feeding your baby. My only hope is that you are informed.. and you understand not just the "benefits" of breastfeeding but also the "risks of Formula.

The problem with our current culture is our language. Like I stated above we tend to say "Look at the benefits of breastfeeding". Actually breastfeeding is the natural, normal feeding situation. All others are SYNTHETIC. Lets instead look at the RISKS of formula. Formula is ABNORMAL.

Formula is not human milk. Why would you give a cow goats milk? Or a pig cat's milk? Thats insane. So why is it "normal" to make bottles of Cow's milk based formula and put it in a plastic container with a fake nipple and give it to our children? Weird.

Formula is a business. Formula is a BIG business. I'm not going to go bashing. But look at the benefits of breastfeeding above.. and start reading between the lines..

Breastfed babies have a lowered risk of SIDS.. that really means FORMULA FED BABIES HAVE AN INCREASED RISK OF SIDS. It is important to look at the studies from different perspectives to truly understand its meaning.

Breastfeeding is good for you, baby, the environment and your pocketbook. Go Boob Juice.

1 comment:

gebze evden eve nakliyat said...

Gebze evden eve nakliyat firmamız şehir içi ve şehirler arası olarak ev taşımacılık hizmeti vermektedir. Dilediğiniz kalitede bir taşımayı bizlerle bulacaksınız. Detaylı bilgi için bizimle iletişime geçebilirsiniz.
kurtköy evden eve nakliyat
şekerpınar evden eve nakliyat
içmeler evden eve nakliyat
aydınlı evden eve nakliyat
Orhanlı evden eve nakliyat
Şifa evden eve nakliyat
güzelyalı evden eve nakliyat
esenyalı evden eve nakliyat