Monday, October 15, 2007

Katydid!

So kathryn answered her phone and I officially have a bed to rest in in Michigan. I'm sure I could crash at my brothers but I haven't talked to him in ages.. so I should take care of that before using him for a couch.

I still have a lot of reading.. and I accidentally slept in again. i need to stop doing that. oh well a few hours before class still ill be fine...

All of my reading last night was history related..

One book Eight Eurocentric Historians was a critique on the main schools of thought regarding the european rise to capitalism and their supposed superiority. So far I have gotten through the chapters on Weber, White and Brenner. Its pretty interesting. Actually its almost sad in a way that these historians can so easily be deconstructed and discreditied. I should probably learn the author of the books name, since I now believe he's on a roll.


I am also reading A Different Mirror, which is a survey of US history through the eyes of the minorities and immigrants. It is pretty interesting so far. I like the style of writing. It reminds me of A Peoples History, but its a little different.

We read a lot of excerpts from The Mismeasure of Man, which is utterly fascinating
The Roots of Racism a speech by Fidel Castro

Id love to read more Howard Zinn, W.E.B. Dubois

No comments: